What is VAT Exemption/Relief?
VAT exemption allows those with a long term illness or who are disabled to purchase eligible items themselves at 0% VAT, thus saving them money.
Who is eligible for VAT relief?
To be eligible for VAT relief, the government confirms that you have to fit the following criteria:
A person is disabled or has a long term illness if he/she is a person
- with a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon his/her ability to carry out everyday activities;
- with a condition which the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes; or
- Who is terminally ill.
- Please note: VAT exemption does not include a frail, elderly person who is otherwise able-bodied or any person who is only temporarily disabled or incapacitated, such as with a broken limb.
What proof do we need to provide?
- In order to waive VAT on your purchase, the government requires a simple declaration to be made as to the nature of your disability/long term illness at the time of ordering. No proof of your disability/long term illness needs be shown to any party at any time.
- It is very easy to claim VAT relief. The only information that Arden Care Supplies will need is the name, address and disability of the person the item is for or a brief description of what their long term illness is. We do not need a doctor’s letter or any reference numbers.
- If you qualify for VAT exemption, you may select this option in the shopping basket. Please note that we must receive your VAT exemption form before we can despatch your order.
- Private customers should complete an online VAT Exemption form at this link or at the bottom of our website (Best viewed on desk top or classic view if using a mobile device).>VAT Exemption Form (Individuals)
- Charities should complete an online VAT Exemption form at this link.(Best viewed on desktop or classic view if using a mobile device >VAT Exemption Form (Charities)
Which Items are eligible?
- VAT Exemption only applies to certain products. These are items which have been designed to be used by someone who has a long term illness or is disabled. Examples of such products are Profiling Beds, Pressure Reducing Mattresses and Cushions, Side Rails, Grab Handles, Overbed Tables and Specialist Seating.
- Items that are not eligable ( not specially adapted) include, Medical Dressing and Storage Trollies, Medicine Cabinets and Drug Cabinets, Screens, Fireside Chairs etc.
- Prices displayed on our website product pages are shown both with and without VAT.
- VAT will be deducted in the order final checking page if you select VAT EXEMPT.
Price with VAT Price without VAT
How do I select VAT Exempt in the Shopping Basket?
- Please select UK VAT EXEMPT in the drop down box (Please see below).
- Please note: The VAT amount will still show at all times on your order, however your final payment will be the amount without VAT.
- If you do not complete the VAT exemption form, or you are not eligible for VAT relief, we are obliged to charge you the full amount of VAT on the whole of your order or cancel your order.
- Not all of our products are eligible for VAT relief, so we are obliged to charge VAT for those products even after you complete this form.
- Further information can be viewed on the HM Revenue & Customs VAT for disabled people section. The website link is provided below: